Thursday, December 5, 2013

Day 5

Today we woke up at 5:45 to take the train to Assisi. They train was delayed, but we made it! The town is two miles from the train station and we debated walking, but I'm so glad we took the bus. I don't think I can feel my legs after all of those hills and stairs. We found a fortress towards the top of the hill which had breathtaking views. There were tons of tunnels and staircases to explore and we were running around trying to see it all. There was one couple that kept laughing at us because we would just pop out of random places. We walked through the wall to get to a tower that had an amazing view of the basilica of st. Francis. There were so many houses tucked away in the mountains. I wish we could have visited them and seen what a typical Italian countryside house looked like. 

We attempted to follow Rick Steve's walking tour, but I think I've already seen too many churches and so I just wanted to look around and read the signs. It was interesting that so many of the churches had basements with either ruins or relics. The basilica of st. Francis had an entire church below it and then his remains below that. There were no pictures in the basilica, but it was beautiful. 
The view of the city from the basilica.

Our train back was really delayed as well so I didn't get back until 10:30. The first thing I did was run to this great place and get this really good bread. Then I went next door and got a gelato frappe that was delicious. My supper today was really nutritious. 

No comments:

Post a Comment